U.S. soccer captain Michael Bradley says he is “sad and embarrassed” by President Donald Trump’s travel ban.
Bradley, who is also Toronto FC’s skipper, took to Instagram to add to comments made earlier in an interview with Sports Illustrated’ Grant Wahl.
Trump’s executive order suspended entry of all refugees to the United States for 120 days, barred Syrian refugees indefinitely, and blocked entry into the U.S. for 90 days for citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
Earlier, four-time Olympic champion Mo Farah said Trump’s immigration policy “seems to have made me an alien” and feared he may not be able to return to his U.S. home. Farah is a British citizen who was born in Somalia.
Bradley is currently with the U.S. team, which takes on Serbia on Sunday in a friendly in San Diego.
In the immediate aftermath of Trump’s election win, Bradley had talked about Americans getting behind the new president.
“The results may not be what every person wanted — some people are happy, others aren’t — but the way forward is to come together and give our new president support and rally behind him.”
Toronto FC said Steven Beitashour, an American-born fullback who plays internationally for his parents’ homeland of Iran, had no issues flying to California on Saturday for the next leg of the MLS team’s training camp.
Toronto president Bill Manning said Beitashour is a U.S. citizen and as such as is not affected by the Trump executive order.
While MLS has players from 61 countries, none were born in the seven countries affected by the Trump order.
Columbus midfielder Justin Meram was born in the U.S. but plays internationally for Iraq.